Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fashion is the Icing. Life is the Cake.

            "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison
     
             Wow, it's been a great week. We're busy sewing away new surprises for next week and stocking local shelves. This is the busy time of year. Hopefully everyone got a chance to get out and vote yesterday in the weather however you voted. I've been thinking a lot about fashion and crafting lately when the latest project is busy dancing through my fingers. About what makes a successful project and and unsuccessful one. Thomas Edison was a big believer in the idea that art and inventions must something people actually want. He's quoted as saying, "The value of an idea lies in the using of it."
           There's a separate catagory in fashion for designs that serve a function called utilitarian fashion. Kinda like a spoon can be beautiful, but it also serves a very specific purpose. Besides the backstory to the Matrix ("There is no spoon."), getting things from your plate to your mouth is an important function of silverware. In our disposable culture of anything goes, I think I may start filling my office with straight forward classic designs to remind me to serve my customers in everything I do. Even if it's as simple as a spoon. Because fashion for designers is a way to share your life experiences and ideas with customers. Real products are where it's at.
           What is real for you in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment