Tuesday, November 13, 2012

3D Printing to Metal Pouring Owl Project ~ Evan Daniels


          This weekend was a fun time at Techshop RD. They had a big open house with over 300 people in attendance. While there was a lot of amazing talent in the place and great instructors, my favorite demonstration of the day was 3D printing to metal pouring by Evan Daniels. If you want to watch the process step-by-step head over here.
           Evan promises me he is posting an Instructable on his page eventually so I'll leave it to him to tell you the technical details. Mostly, I loved seeing what you can do with 3D printers in a reverse life-hack. This is the first test run of an owl Evan printed on his 3D printer from Luis's class back in March for Plastibots. You can see the print resolution was pretty good on the sample left. It's shockingly easy to make sand molds from PLA 3D prints simply by making the mold and then melting it out in an oven at 400 degrees for 4 hours. You can see all the goo dripping out below the mold as Evan demonstrates here how simple the process was. The final owl is pictured above. You can see some sand stuck to the mold around the feet for some reason (however...not bad for a first run!). The detail overall was shockingly good in raw form before clean-up. 
            I felt so inspired seeing him work. Evan always leaves me feeling recharged with a new sense of energy and possibility. Great stuff! I feel can't wait to try my hand at making some custom clasps and cool coat buttons. Anyone else getting some ideas for stuff they would like to try in the future?

Have a great day people! I hope that you are inspired too.

No comments:

Post a Comment