Monday, December 24, 2012

Why stand back up? Hope.

              "Fall down seven times, get up eight." ~Japanese Zen Proverb (Also most major religions)

              "Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope."  ~Annonymous
  
              I've been thinking a lot about adversity and what is the difference between what breaks one person and builds another up. We've been through a tough couple of years as a nation. And while I initially thought I would have a host of depressing stories from my friends and family (and yes, I got some of those at first), what I didn't expect what all the stories of hope I heard of what happened after.  People who found in themselves and those around them an inner strength they never imagined. 
             The word that keeps coming up in the stories they tell is "Hope." 
             I like that, and 3 years after the Great Recession as we stand back up, I think it's what I want to give to those I know this spring. The always darkest before the dawn gift. The idea that you can stand back up, dust yourself off, and find opportunities around the corner. So for spring and everyone having a great year, a little piece of hope for you.


PS- I saw this lecture on TED about actually helping people involves listening to them and actually doing what they ask. I think this is a great speech about the difference between pretending to act and actually making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment