Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pearls of Wisdom Summer Collection

      New seasons are presents to be unwrapped. This season we're growing up and closing in on year 3 for the shop. Wow, who would have believed so many changes in such a short time? It's exciting and challenging at the same time. Traditionally, the third year is the hardest for a designer or label to weather in terms of growing to the next level without flaming and burning out. Nash and I have struggled to define ourselves and clean up the brand this season with an eye towards the classics.
       We've decided to focus this summer on clothing and jewelry we feel adds actual value to our customers lives. Nash is putting his love of history, art, and quotes to work designing inspired jewelry and I'm delving into old textile design books. I was gifted a wonderful collection of draping and flat pattern books 2 weeks ago for my birthday and it is probably hands down the best gift I have been given besides my sewing machines. Tools are awesome. So is the wisdom and knowledge to use them. No book will make you an expert, but they will help the learning curve.
      While I can sketch patterns quickly, I've begun to see that there's a 1/2-4 inch difference between what is available off the shelf and what a master would create for themselves or their clients. Since my long-term goal is to create custom clothing for my clients at ready-to-wear costs, it's time for me to hit the books. I hope that you and I both benefit from the extra work. BTW, these are old 1950s books, there's shinier, newer stuff on the market, but I'm investing in the classics this season and that means rereading the old masters to get a better grounding in design theory.
      See everyone who is coming Tuesday for the spring arts and craft show. We will be partnering with Techshop RDU to introduce this. Should be a lot of fun. The buildings are right beside each other:

The Studio
5825 Triangle Drive
Raleigh, NC 27617

Techshop
5905 Triangle Drive
Raleigh, NC 27617

No comments:

Post a Comment