Monday, June 17, 2013

Maker-Faire NC Recap

                      Hey guys, back from a weekend of making and refreshing the creative juices. Maker-Faire NC was WILD this year. Nash and I volunteered as ticket takers and generally wandered around having fun. For those of you who aren't familar with the Faire, I like to think of it as if you suddenly had a backstage pass to all the mancave and garage workspaces in the area. So much raw fun and creativity.
                     There were some obvious trends this year: legos and 3D printers were super popular. Also, we saw a lot of fun costuming and reenactment/cosplay guilds. Nash kept dragging me away from the shiny tables of cool crafts I'd never tried before. Take this lovely red leather outfit from the 105th squadron. Also on display were a lot of neat projects I hadn't considered making. Take these AWESOME Rock'em Sock'em Robots from Spark Con. Or the 40 foot tall whomping willow pumpkin thrower.
                     Pretty cool weekend overall. I always like seeing stuff I hadn't planned on or dreamed about. A definite sense of wonder. It reminds me of the 1910-1920 world fairs. As we get into the 4th year, I must say I am enjoying seeing everything grow and change. Go guys. Alright, to next year and a lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment