Friday, September 14, 2012

Textile Friday: Mastery Teaches You to Love

           “I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil – this is the gift of God.”
             ~ King Solomon, the wisest man who lived on the meaning of life, Ecclesiastes 3:12-13

             So, hopefully you enjoyed last week's textile friday post. It comes to you courtesy of a friend who said that it's important to let people see you struggle. Me, I hate that level of honesty. I'd like people to think I was just naturally brilliant instead of hard-headed and human. Well, we'll see if this helps you, my readers. Ultimately this blog is for you. Anyways, so if last week's post didn't scare you, why do through that level of hell? (BTW, if you have the time you can always spread out the learning curve over a decade or two with less pain. That's perfectly respectable. Money and time always help cushion the blows.) The answer is a simple one word:
              LOVE.
              There's something about doing something you love, that makes you wake up passionately ready to go in the morning that is just an unbeatable feeling. I think strongly that it's something everyone should do at least once. To do something I loved, every morning, every day....for almost three years now has been the greatest gift I think I've ever been given. I also feel that it has helped me fill up the cracks in my soul and years of insecurity. The wisest men of every generation from King Solomen forward to Henry Ford to the Beatles to Walt Disney have all advocated doing something you love. And eat well. Not like, but would be willing to spend the rest of your life paying someone to do for free. And it's not the same for everyone. It took me years of trial and error to find. But for me it's sewing. The physical aspect of sewing something on a machine and then seeing customers smile as they walk away or come back a year later with a story of how they wore what, then, with friends or family or loved ones that fills me up. I've never been good at telling people I love them or taken much stock in words as they're easy to manufacturer and mean little. Making them something that physically touches them every day, that seems incredibly real to me.
              For you, it may be something else. Woodworking. Or blacksmithing. Or crunching account numbers. I hope that whatever gets you up the morning to work you find. Even if you take a while to get there. Have a great week people. And for everyone local look forward to seeing you Sparkcon tomorrow. Next week, I'll be revealing our new fall collection: Beloved.

No comments:

Post a Comment